This Dark & White Chocolate Peppermint Bark is a wonderful DIY edible Christmas gift that is so simple and fun to make. The real challenge is to wrap it up fast enough before it all disappears!
A thin layer of dark chocolate covered with white chocolate and topped with crushed peppermint candy canes, this Dark & White Peppermint Bark is a true Christmas classic and it’s as delicious as it is beautiful. It’s one of my favorite treats to make and give away during the holidays, a big hit every time, and not just with the kids,trust me!
It’s important to use a good quality chocolate for this recipe. Melt chocolate slowly, over low heat, with a double boiler. Remove the bowl from the heat when it’s a little more than halfway melted and you just need to stir until the rest is melted smooth. If you have time, you could temper the chocolate (I never do and always have great results anyway), but some people swear by it. Tempered chocolate has a shiny, flawless appearance. Once it hardens it feels firm and breaks off with a snap when you bite into it and it melts smoothly in your mouth. Follow this link to learn how to do it.
This dessert looks and tastes like Christmas should. My daughter Chloé can tell you: even Santa loves it!
- ¼ cup coarsely crushed red & white peppermint canes (more or less depending on taste)
- 10 oz (300 g) 65% cacao dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (oil based)
- 12 oz (340 g) white chocolate
- Place the candy canes in a ziploc freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, and seal. Pound the canes with a rolling pin or meat mallet into small- to medium-sized pieces; set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 inch of water in a saucepan over low heat until steaming. Put dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over the saucepan of steaming water (do not let the bowl touch the water). Remove the bowl with the chocolate from the double boiler when it’s a little more than halfway melted and then stir until the rest is smooth.
- Stir ½ tsp of peppermint extract into the dark chocolate.
- Pour the dark chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and use an offset spatula or knife to spread it to an even thickness, a little more than ⅛″ thick.
- Leave it at room temperature for 5 minutes than chill in the referigferator for 8 minurtes (no more than 8 minutes, you want it to just start to set upin order for the white chocolate layer to stick).
- White the dark chocolate is chilling, melt the white chocolate using the same method you did for the dark one.
- Spread white chocolate over the dark chocolate layer and sprinkle with the candy canes.Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hour. Break into chunks.
Also try my Decadent Chocolate MintBrownies!