HOLIDAY COUNTDOWN – DESSERTS
These Decadent Chocolate Mint Brownies are truly the ultimate holiday brownie, super chocolaty and filled with a delicious layer of melted After Eight mints. Let me tell you, I had the hardest time taking pictures for this post, as soon as I popped these out of the oven, my hubby came rushing into the kitchen…I’ve never seen him that interested when I take pictures but he just wouldn’t go away…he was just standing there trying to steal a piece or at least a bite as soon as I had my back turned! I had to take my pictures with one hand pushing him away the whole time!!!
I make these After Eight brownies every year at Christmas along with my Cheesecake Brownies. I use the same Classic Brownies recipe as base for both so what I usually do is make a double batch of the classic recipe and then separate them in two square pans and go on with each recipe. Both brownies are freezer-friendly making them the perfect make-ahead holiday desserts. One last thing, please use a good quality chocolate for this, you won’t regret it.
- 5 oz 70% dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 16 After Eight mint chocolate squares
- Preheat your oven to 350⁰F.
- Line a square pan (8-inch) with parchment paper, butter the two sides.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Stir well until everything is completely melted and smooth. Let cool a little bit before using.
- In a medium bowl, whisk,eggs, brown sugar, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add the chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour half of the batter in your pan. Layer with the After Eight mint chocolate squares. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few lumps and not totally clean.
- Let cool before removing from pan and cutting into squares.